Become a modern-day smuggler at this property on St Ives harbour, stealing away for days by the sea! Located on Mount Zion in the much sought-after area of Downlong, this three-bedroom traditional cottage is a fantastic base for Cornish adventures in every season.
Smugglers is for sale fully equipped for highdays and holidays. Currently a successful holiday let, it’s well-maintained, packed with character, and right in the bustling heart of St Ives.
From the doorstep, within moments you could be strolling along the harbour in the calmness of the early morning, coffee in hand. Or plunging into the surf at Porthmeor Beach. Or pulling up a beach-side seat for breakfast at Porthgwidden Cafe… With a location this close to the action, you’ll always be first on the scene!
Step inside the stable door of Smugglers and you’ll find three cosy floors of homely accommodation. A living room with lovely wood panelling and ceiling beams (all painted white to create a light and airy space) is immediately welcoming, while the kitchen next door is charming and homely.
One of our favourite features is the Cornish range cooker. It conjures up a time when St Ives was a prominent fishing and trading port; life centred on the wharf and the harbour, and the small narrow cobbled streets spreading from the seafront were a hive of maritime industry. We can imagine many a fish supper being cooked on this!
Beyond this comfortable first floor are two further levels. On the first is the biggest bedroom and the family bathroom. This bright bathroom is practical but also stylish, with white metro tiles and a crisp modern suite.
The pretty main bedroom has a raised area into a box window, with an in-built window seat; the perfect place to enjoy the morning sunrise over the picturesque harbour, or indulge in a spot of people watching as evening descends!
The exposed ceiling beams and brass bedstead combine to give this room a lovely feel of traditional elegance. There’s also a handy ensuite WC through a door in the corner.
Two further bedrooms upstairs (a double and a twin) are both decorated in calm, muted tones. From the double room guests will enjoy great views across to Porthminster Beach.
St Ives is a fantastic place to live, work and visit in all seasons. Christmas is one of our favourite times in this Cornish town, when the harbour is bedecked with festive lights and the town’s many independent businesses put on a great show, creating a magical Christmas atmosphere.
Read our Location Guide to St Ives, which contains lots of handy info as well as lifestyle tips for enjoying the town.
What Did We Miss?
- Smugglers has been owned by the same family for 50 years, and has been lovingly maintained.
- The winding cobbled streets around Mount Zion are home to many independent cafes, restaurants and boutiques – perfect for exploring on long weekends.
- Downlong is particularly of interest for artists and creatives, with galleries, potteries, studios and the famous St Ives School of Painting – all around the corner from Tate St Ives itself.
- As you arrive in St Ives, the one way system through the town will direct you across the Wharf to Mount Zion and the property.
- The property is within a short stroll of Harbour Beach, Porthgwidden Beach, Porthmeor Beach and Bamaluz Beach. But, if you fancy spending the day on Porthminster Beach you’ll have to walk for all of 10 minutes. However if the tide is out, it takes just 2 minutes from Harbour Beach to Porthminster.